Mourinho “not confident” of deadline day signing

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says he is “not confident” of signing another player before Thursday’s transfer deadline at 17:00

JOSE MOURINHO has admitted Manchester United are unlikely to make ANY new signings before the transfer window closes.

Mourinho has been desperate to bring in a top class defender to bolster his squad ahead of the new season.

But the United boss has been left frustrated that the club has not been able to close the deal – meaning he will have to stick with the majority of the squad he had last season.

Asked if there would be any signings, Mourinho said: “The information I have is no.

“I’m not confident, I’m not confident and the market closes today so is time at least for me to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed.

“So I will have to focus on the players I have and in relation to this first couple of matches, maybe three matches because after Spurs there is national team and a couple of weeks to recover people and prepare people better.

“It is time to focus on players available so I’m not thinking about that list I give you, I focus on what we have.”

United’s failure to make any late deals mean Mourinho has only been able to add two players to the squad he steered to a second place finish in the Premier League last season.

Advertisements

News Digest: Ethiopian dam engineer Simegnew Bekele’s funeral draws thousands; Tour de France: Geraint Thomas wins as Chris Froome finishes third

1. Ethiopian dam engineer Simegnew Bekele’s funeral draws thousands

Ethiopian police have fired tear gas to keep back thousands of people who gathered to pay their final respects to the chief engineer of a controversial dam project.

Simegnew Bekele was found shot dead in the capital Addis Ababa on last Thursday.

It is not clear if his death was connected to the $4bn (£3bn) Grand Renaissance Dam project.

Mr Simegnew’s death prompted an outpouring of grief. Hundreds packed a cathedral, with thousands more outside.

2. Tour de France: Geraint Thomas wins as Chris Froome finishes third

The Team Sky rider, 32, follows Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2012 and four-time Tour champion Chris Froome as Britain celebrates a sixth win in seven years.

Alexander Kristoff won the final sprint finish on the Champs-Elysees as Thomas crossed the line arm-in-arm with Froome after three weeks of racing.

He beat Dutchman Tom Dumoulin by one minute 51 seconds, with Froome third.

3. Zimbabwe election: Mugabe refuses to back successor Mnangagwa

Zimbabwe’s ex-president Robert Mugabe says he will not vote for his successor and former ally in Monday’s elections.

Speaking from his home in the capital, Harare, on Sunday, the former president again said he had been “sacked” as part of a military coup and that he left office in order to “avoid conflict”.

“I hope the choice of voting tomorrow will throw, thrust away the military government and bring us back to constitutionality,” he said.

4. New York Times tells Trump: Don’t call reporters enemies of the people

The publisher of the New York Times has urged President Donald Trump not to continue labelling reporters “enemies of the people”, saying it could “lead to violence” against the media.

AG Sulzberger made the details of their off-the-record meeting public after Mr Trump tweeted about it.

In his initial tweet, the president said it had been a “very good” meeting.

But he later accused media of putting people’s lives at risk through their reporting.

5. Carl Ikeme in Nigeria’s future coaching plans

Carl Ikeme is set to be offered a role on Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr’s back-room staff after announcing his retirement at the age of 32.

The Nigeria international was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in July 2017, but announced he was in “complete remission” after “a tough year and intense chemotherapy” in June.

“The NFF will find the resources to send Carl Ikeme on a coaching course, and afterwards absorb him into the technical crew of the Super Eagles,” NFF general secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, said in a statement.

“That is the least we can do for such a dedicated patriot. “

By kenny9ja

We’re not interested in 2023 Presidency- Igbo Leaders

By kenny9ja on 29 july, 2018 @ 02:52 Am

We’re not interested in 2023 Presidency- Igbo Leaders
Leaders of Thought, ILT, an umbrella of Igbo statesmen intelligentsia lead by Professor Ben Nwabueze, has told whoever is planning Presidency for Ndigbo in 2023 that Igbo Presidency is no longer on the cards of the nationality.

They rather said that what would be more beneficial to Ndigbo and indeed the entire Nigerians is a restructured country, where Presidency would become less attractive and no longer an instrument for ethnic jingoism.

The group also warned that the country is close to being equated with a failed state given the level of insecurity with attendant killings across states. It also spoke on the popular restructuring mantra and warned against escalated nepotism that it described as ‘political corruption.’ ILT made their positions known, yesterday, after two days meeting in Enugu, where the group said the focus of the meeting was anchored on the state of Nation and the National question.

Addressing Newsmen after the meeting, Deputy Chairman of ILT, Prof Chiweyete Ejike together with the Secretary General of the group, Prof Elochukwu Amucheazi said that people were becoming poorer by the day and asked for revise of the hopless situations. Ejike said: “Igbo’s are not concerned about Presidency, we are concerned about restructuring. We want a fair and equitable Polity. “There is the issue of use of fund not appropriate by the National Assembly. It is not lawful and we are opposed to that. The selective application of war against corruption is not in order.

The Case of Maina is a clear example. “Budgeting public fund for private ranching is corruption and a government that is fighting corruption is doing all these. “On the issue of killings, we feel that enough is not being done to stop the scandalous situation and the government should do more in the interest of the nationalities for existential threat.

“There was no legislative reason to prescribe the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPoB. The federal government should deproscribe it because they have right to Self-determination.”

Igbo Group ohanaeze ndigbo Igbo Leaders

Nigeria to experience longest total lunar eclipse on Friday –Scientist

Nigeria will on Friday night experience a spectacular total lunar eclipse, which will last for one hour, Prof. Augustine Ubachukwu, has said.

Ubachukwu, the leader of Astronomy and Astrophysics Research Group of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, disclosed this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja.

“Nigeria is set to experience a very spectacular total lunar eclipse on Friday, July 27, weather permitting.

“It will be visible from 9:30.p.m. and last till 11: 20 p.m.

“This total lunar eclipse will be primarily visible from the world’s Eastern Hemisphere, which are Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

“Part of South America will be able to watch the final stages of the eclipse just after sunset on July 27.

“New Zealand will catch the beginning stages of the eclipse before sunrise on July 28.

“It will be the century’s longest total lunar eclipse with a whopping one hour and 43 minutes in totality.

“It starts with a partial eclipse at 7:24 p.m. The total eclipse begins at 8.30 p.m., and ends at 10.13 p.m. The peak of the eclipse will occur at 9.22 p.m. The partial eclipse ends at 11.19 p.m.,’’ he said.

Ubachukwu observed that a lunar eclipse could occur only on the night of a full moon.

The scientist said during a total lunar eclipse, the earth completely blocks direct sunlight from reaching the moon, while the only light reflected from the lunar surface would be refracted by earth’s atmosphere.

According to him, unlike solar eclipses, lunar eclipses are safe to view without any eye protection or special precautions as they appear dimmer than the full moon.

The professor, however, said that the next total lunar eclipse that would be visible in Nigeria would occur on January 21, 2019.

Prof. Rabiu Babatunde, the Director, Centre for Atmospheric Research in Kogi told NAN that people should not be perturbed at the occurrence.

Babatunde said that the event underscored the fact that planetary objects, including the earth were in a state of defined continuous motion.

He said that the occurrence necessitated the need for scientists to continue monitoring and exploring the dynamics of the motion and the phenomena associated with them.

“Keeping tab on the dynamics will enable scientists sensitise the global community of any hazard associated with such occurrences,’’ he said

Google to provide 10m Nigerians with free WiFi

Google Nigeria plans to reach more than 10 million Nigerians with free Internet access in five cities in Nigeria.

According to the company, the Wi-Fi will be available in 200 Google Stations across five cities in the country which includes Lagos, Kaduna, Port Harcourt, Ibadan and Abuja by 2019.

This was made known on Thursday at the second Google for Nigeria event in Lagos.

Speaking at the unveiling of the Google Stations, the Google Nigeria Country Director, Juliet Ehimuan-Chiazor, said the initiative would address affordability and access to data as well as broadband penetration.

She said the free Wi-Fi was rolled out in partnership with an Internet Service Provider with extensive fibre network, 21st Century, adding that the company was open to partnerships with other ISPs and telcos.

“One of the challenges we found was access to data. Broadband penetration is low and are not reliable and there are challenges with affordability just allow many Nigerians benefit from the digital economy. We are very excited to be able to launch in collaboration with partners,” she said.

She added, “We are starting in Lagos with four sites and commitment is to expand to 200 sites across five cities in Nigeria by 2019. There are opportunities that are available once people get online and are able to consume information.

Commenting on the initiative, the Vice President, Products Management at Google, Anjali Joshi, said the initiative would be scaled to other countries in Africa.

Details soon.

2019: What Saraki, Dogara must do to Buhari, APC now – Arewa youths

The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum, AYCF, has advised the President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara to join the coalition against President Muhammadu Buhari and the All progressives Congress, APC, before “the house will collapse with them.”

Speaking with DAILY POST, AYCF President, Shettima Yerima said it was clear that the two APC chieftains were no longer wanted in the party.

He said it was the best time for the duo to join the newly formed coalition and work towards ensuring that President Buhari and APC did not return to power in 2019.

“My advice for the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara is that I hope they are wise enough to know that where they are cannot be alternative to them.

“They should as quickly as possible join the force of pro-people movement and work in the best interest of this country.

“It is clear that where they are cannot accommodate them and hope that they make the decision as quickly as possible before the house will collapse with them….